Contact

Jack Martin
Office of Public Affairs
785-864-7100

Refrigerator identified as apparent cause of Malott lab fire

Tue, 11/29/2011
More Information

LAWRENCE – A fire that occurred Saturday morning in a medicinal chemistry laboratory on the fifth floor of Malott Hall was likely caused by a refrigerator that overheated.

The point of origin for the fire appeared to be the condenser and condensation tray on the back of the refrigerator, according to investigators from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical and the KU Public Safety Office. No criminal activity is suspected, and there were no injuries.

Fire damage was confined to the lab, with water from the response causing some damage to labs on the two floors below. The building was open for classes Monday.

An estimated cost of the damage has not yet been determined.



Although a @KUJournalism study about fake health news was conducted before the emergence of COVID-19, the conclusio… https://t.co/001E9xWNJU


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today