LAWRENCE — Undergraduate researchers from the University of Kansas Lawrence and Medical Center campuses will present their research projects March 1 as part of Kansas Undergraduate Research Day at the Capitol.
KU undergraduate students will join their peers from other Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) public four-year universities in virtual poster presentations to other students, faculty, KBOR members, state lawmakers and members of the public from across the state of Kansas. The event is intended to raise awareness of the research being conducted by undergraduate students at state universities.
The presenters are listed below by name, year of study, major, mentor, and title of research project:
From KU Lawrence
- Albert Park, a junior in molecular, cellular & developmental biology from Overland Park mentored by Heng Du, “Analysis of OSCP Degradation in Alzheimer's Disease.”
- Alexander Erwin, a senior in economics from Overland Park mentored by Franek Hasiuk, “Enhanced Oil Recovery in Kansas: A Continuous Time Model.”
- Navya Singh, a junior in biochemistry from Chandigarh, India, mentored by Laird Forrest, “Synthesis of a Hyaluronic Acid-Deferoxamine Conjugate for Local Treatment of Bone Regeneration.”
- Tessie May, a junior in chemical engineering mentored by Mark Shiflett, “Project EARTH (Environmentally Applied Research Toward Hydrofluorocarbons): Mixed Matrix Membrane.”
- Vivian Marshall, a senior in biology from Topeka mentored by Raymond Pierotti, “The Responses of Two Budgerigars to Music and Bird Calls.”
From KU Medical Center
- Camille Henderson, a senior in nursing from Mission mentored by Kristi Williams, "Elderspeak Within Family Caregiving: The Impact of Relationship and Gender on Elderspeak Use with Dementia Care Recipients.”
- Hanna Mouak, a senior in nursing from Mulvane mentored by Barb Polivka, “COVID-19 and Adults with Asthma.”
- Mallory Peterman, a senior in nursing from Overland Park mentored by Laura Klenke-Borgmann, "The Long-term Transferability of Learning via In-class Simulations to Nursing Practice: A Qualitative Descriptive Study.”
- Sophia Schneller, a senior in nursing from Overland Park mentored by Becky Christian, "Case Study: An Adolescent with Cystic Fibrosis: Gaining Independence.”
- Shy’Anna Tyler, a senior in nursing from Topeka mentored by Karen Weis, "Racial and Ethnic Differences for Pregnancy Anxiety and Depressive Symptoms to Birth Outcomes.”