LAWRENCE – More than 70 third- through 12th-grade students took part in problem-solving and critical thinking activities during the annual Mathematics Competition at the University of Kansas. Students from Lawrence, Overland Park and Topeka and from Kansas City, Missouri, took part in the event April 2 at Snow Hall.
The exams consisted of five questions that took 40 minutes to complete, and the competition was divided up into three age groups: third and fifth grades, middle school and senior high school. Cash prizes totaling $675 will be given to the top three places in each age group, to be awarded at the Math Competition Award Ceremony on April 29.
The event is sponsored by the Department of Mathematics. Agnieszka Miedler, associate professor of mathematics, coordinated the competition. The competition is held in conjunction with the mathematics department's Mathematics and Statistics Awareness Month (MSAM) activities, coordinated by Bozenna Pasik- Duncan, professor of mathematics.
Winners are listed below:
- First Place: Ruby Jiang, Langston Hughes Elementary, Lawrence
- Second Place: Aditya Nagarajan, Langston Hughes Elementary, Lawrence
- First place (tie): Charlie Maples, Bishop Seabury Academy, Lawrence
- First place (tie): Arielle Li, California Trail Middle School, Overland Park
- Second place: Eric Du, Pleasant Ridge Middle School, Overland Park
- Third place: Ishaan Musti, Pleasant Ridge Middle School, Overland Park
- First place: Kushal Mamillapalli, Topeka High School, Topeka
- Second place: Aashritha Musti, Blue Valley West High School, Overland Park
- Third place: Casey Kong, Free State High School, Lawrence.