LAWRENCE — Beginning Monday, March 11, work is scheduled to begin on the 19th Street Reconstruction and Pedestrian Tunnel projects at the south end of the Lawrence campus.
The work entails street, sidewalk, waterline, storm and sanitary sewer improvements on 19th Street from Iowa Street to Naismith Drive, and pedestrian tunnels at 19th and Iowa streets. The city of Lawrence expects the project will be complete in August.
In the meantime, streets in the area will be closed as scheduled. Check the city's road construction information available online for details.
The projects also mean changes for KU bus routes 11 and 38.
- Route 11 will miss stops on West Campus and 19th Street, but the rest of the route will be as follows:
- Northbound from Naismith: Continue past 19th, left on 18th, left on Irving Hill Road, right on Engel Road (will drop off at Daisy Hill stops), right on 15th, right on Burdick, left on Irving Hill Road to normal route
- Southbound from Naismith Hill: Right on 15th, remain on 15th to Engel, left on Engel (will pick up at stops 251 and 374), left on Irving Hill Road, right on 18th, right on Naismith, remain on Naismith to normal route
- Route 38 will miss stops on Stewart Avenue, but the rest of the route will be as follows:
- Northbound from 23rd Street and Ousdahl Road: Right on 21st, left on Naismith, left on 18th, continue on 18th to normal route
- Northbound from Irving Hill Road/18th: Continue on 18th past Ousdahl, right on Naismith, right on 21st, left on Ousdahl to normal route
Check KU on Wheels for route details during construction.