LAWRENCE — The University of Kansas School of Music will present the 88th annual Holiday Vespers concerts and pre-Vespers organ and brass concerts next month.
88th annual Holiday Vespers
· Dec. 2: 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., Lied Center of Kansas
· Tickets: $12.50/general admission & $10/senior citizens and students. Call 864-2787 or visit the Lied Center Box Office.
· KU students are admitted free to the 7:30 p.m. performance with a valid ID.
Pre-Vespers Organ and Brass Concerts
· Dec. 2: 1:30pm and 6:30 p.m., Bales Organ Recital Hall
· Free admission
· Featuring the KU Brass Quintet: Mason Tyler, trumpet; Stephen Preisner, trumpet; Breanna Ellison, French horn; Andy Newbegin, trombone; Jon Heaver, tuba; Stephen Dagrosa Jr., baritone; and Dina Pannabecker Evans, organ.
The Pre-Vespers organ and brass concerts will feature works including "Hodie Christus Natus Est" by Giovanni Gabrieli; "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" arranged by Sterling Proctor; "Toccata on 'Veni Emmanuel'" by Andrew Carter; "The Trumpet Shall Sound" from "Messiah" by G. F. Handel; and "Hallelujah" Chorus from "Messiah" by Handel.
This year's 88th annual Holiday Vespers program will feature the KU Choirs and Symphony Orchestra performing holiday works including "Magnificat animae meam" from "Magnificat" by Bach; "Noel" from Symphonic Sketches by George Whitefield Chadwick; "Harambee (Call to Unity)" by Joseph Jennings; "What Sweeter Music" by John Rutter; "Never a Brighter Star" by Dan Forrest; "O Holy Night" by Adolphe Charles Adam, as well as audience sing-alongs and additional works. The orchestra will be conducted by David Neely, director of Orchestral Activities, and student conductor Carlos Espinosa; and the Choirs by Paul Tucker, director of Choral Activities, and Mariana Farah, associate director of Choral Activities.
For more information about these KU Holiday Vespers concerts, contact the School of Music at 785-864-3436.